And this is what I made
I also made a top for her daughter with a simpler ruffle
So while I am showing off this bit of handiwork, I thought I would also take the opportunity to talk about some of the things that I used to make the top.
I think it would be obvious that I used a ruffler foot. I used it to do all the ruffling and gathering. The pleated ruffle was done by altering the settings on the foot to pleat every six stitches. If you are are considering a ruffler or have one, but don't know what to do with it, I highly recommend CarlaC's The Ruffler Unruffled.
To construct the top the body was cut a few centimetres down from the neck edge. The longer under ruffle is inserted into this seam.
To stabilise the bottom piece of the front I used Vilene Formband along the curve. I also use Formband to stabilise shoulder seams.
To attach the pleated ruffle I used Wash Away Wonder Tape. Wonder tape is incredibly useful. I used it to stick things on where I don't want to be fiddling with pins. Wonder tape worked particularly well to attach the ruffle because it also acted a bit of a stabiliser as it doesn't stretch. I use Wonder Tape to stick down my labels or put bits of ribbon in a seam.
I have some more favourites which I will share in another post. I fear this one might get too long if I keep waffling.