Monday, April 6, 2009

Rollercoaster

This word describes my last week. Last Sunday I write my 100th blog post and I wake to lovely comments from you. Thank you so much. UP!

Then my other half forgets my birthday and doesn't even make me a cup of coffee in the morning. DOWN!

I have coffee with a friend and then Col IM's me and says Happy Birthday. He remembers. Then he brings home flowers. UP!

Tuesday morning wake up to email rejecting me from Mathilda's Market.
Thank you for your interest in Mathilda’s Market. Unfortunately we are not able to offer you a stall. Although your products are great, we feel they are not suitable for Mathilda’s Market. We strictly follow a certain theme/style of products for Mathilda’s Market, and we feel your product does not fit into this category.

BIG HUGE DOWN! (initially)

My fantastic crafty friends on Crafty Mamas rally around me and give me the most wonderful support. BIG UP!

I have to admit I was a bit confused by my rejection as I think what I make is quite beautiful, but when I looked at my application for retail, I think perhaps I didn't represent my goods as well as I should have. And really, my work doesn't fit with their market. My stuff is quite unique. I love being unique. I've always marched to the beat of my own drum.

But the big UP about this situation is that I have once again re-evaluated what I am doing. I sew and dye because I love to create. I love making different things. My head is always ticking over new ideas. I don't want to make 15 of the same skirt. And that does not really suit doing markets. Doing markets means that I have to have a certain amount of items to fill a stall. And for each item I would need a range of sizes. Some items it's easier to do that with that others. That is a lot of pressure, and it means I am just sewing to fill space. I end up neglecting my family in the process which does not make me happy.

In addition to my work model not fitting well with markets, I don't fit well with markets. I am an introvert. I much prefer working one-on-one with a customer.

I'm not saying I won't ever do a market, but it will be only special places. I will continue at the Lorien Market because I'm part of the school community. I enjoy being there and helping with the playgroup stall.

Ok, so you've listen to my ramble my insane thoughts. Thanks for listening. And now what I did on Friday night to make myself smile, and of course, it made Moo smile to wake up to a new outfit. UP!!!!

For Mollie: It's the Hilda hooded top #27 and Lily leggings #28 from Ottobre 06/07. The top is made from Knut sweater knit from Hilco. This fabric is so super soft on the inside. Moo even commented when she put the top on.
Hilda top and Lily leggings


The leggings are from Hilco's campan knit. The stripes almost match!
leggings


This outfit went together so easily. I highly recommend these patterns!

7 comments:

Tracy said...

I know now not to waste my time visiting those markets too. As if it's not unique stuff I'm just not interested.

You are one of the most talented crafty mamas I know. Your work is beautiful.

Sarah said...

Aw, sorry you had so many downers, but glad it seems to have worked out for the best. And LOVE the outfit, so glad you finally used your Knut! Isn't it amazing? Emi lives in her 2 Knute dresses. btw - if they didn't tell you, DO not put it in the dryer, wait, did I tell you this already? Well, it never hurts to be reminded, right?

willow and moo said...

Sarah, yes, I remember not to put Knut in the dryer. I still can get over how soft it is inside!

Oh just wait for my next post about retail therapy. Col is cool with my impending purchase.

Jetta's Nest said...

Wow, what a rollercoaster Sara. I'm so glad you've come to a decision about the whole Matilda thing and feel good about it. You're 100% right, you know that don't you. Everything you make is unique and wonderful. Every piece is individual. Keep it that way and you'll continue to make all these glorious rainbow creations :)

naomi said...

Sara, I think your stuff is totally amazing, every item so unique, fun and beautiful. I would have thought it would have worked in their favor to sell have a variety of different styles...not just sticking to one theme?!? Never give up on your fabric dying, it is the best I have ever seen!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to you!

How about we meet up in the holidays for some celebration cupcakes and a chat?
And I am glad you are feeling better about the market. Your things are beautiful! We love our Willow and moo in this house.

willow and moo said...

Ingrid, we would love to get together. My icky state of mind is all gone because my friend and I have a spot at the Kamaroi Fair! I just found out 5 minutes ago. I'm so excited!