Tuesday, August 25, 2009

We heart Hertta

We are getting ready for spring down south although yesterday it felt like summer was already on it's way. A change last night corrected that anomaly. It's technically winter here!

This skirt has been sitting around cut out for about 3 weeks. I finally got the impetus to sew. If I haven't sewn for a bit, I start to get antsy. I had to sew.

This pattern is from Ottobre 01/09, pattern #19, Hertta skirt. The fabric is Sandi Henderson's Farmers Market. The cotton lace at the bottom I bought last week at the Stitches and Craft show. The skirt went to together easily although I don't know how I feel about gathering the skirt in four different spots to get it to fit to the waistband. I just don't see the benefit of it, or how it's a special design detail. In my head it just make construction more complicated because I had to fiddle with four different spots of gathering. Maybe I'm just sulking because trying to use the ruffler in that small a length would be overkill and too hard to get just right.

Oh yes, the skirt...
hertta skirt closeup


And we all like photos, so here's a full length one.
Hertta skirt 1

10 comments:

Care said...

it's gorgeous!!

Karen said...

Very nice - love the fabric - so fresh and summery.
I'm with you though - I haven't looked at that pattern but can't work out why gathering in four places would be helpful??

Tin Can Daisy said...

Love the colours Sara!
The only reason I can see they'd have you do those gathers that way is to keep the fuller section of fabric over the leg area....though as I can only see the front of the skirt I'm assuming the gathers are in the same position on the back.
Anyway I agree with you, I don't really think it's necessary.

willow and moo said...

Ahhh, thanks J! The gathers are in the same place front and back and they are basically over each leg.

It's a cute skirt, and I'd probably make it again if Moo wanted another next year.

Vic said...

I love the skirt & I love your little tee recon!
They look fantabulous together! ;)

Peta said...

I love the skirt Sara, I must go have a look at that pattern now! The t-shirt looks brilliant too.

toadstooldots said...

So cute, both skirt and shirt and Moo as well ;-)

Gill - That British Woman said...

I love the skirt and the t-shirt together lovely colours for your daughter.

Gill in Canada

K-Sue said...

This makes a sweet outfit with the red and white T. I agree about the gathers - on a little girl, even gathers all around are just fine.

Kelly Casanova said...

What a pretty skirt, the colour combinations look great on her and the top matches beautifully.