Friday, May 6, 2011

The love is gone

It is, and it's weird because I've nurtured this love. Perhaps I've made myself believe it was there or perhaps I've had a dose of reality. I don't know. But what I do know is that I have lost the love of sewing for others. I know the catalyst for this feeling. It's the new job. The new job is wonderful. I had no idea how much I missed that sort of stimulation, and to add to that to feel wanted and to be remunerated for my experience and knowledge. So if you ask me how I feel about my "new" job, I love it. I think that is where the love went. It moved on.

But at the same time I don't want to let go, but I can't see myself actively pursuing or even accepting sewing & dyeing work because if I do it means that I can't sew for me and the family. In the past I used to feel guilty when I'd take time out to make Mollie or Will something because I should be working on something else. As I sit here and type this I can see the Hilco poplin that has been sitting on a chair for 6 months that is intended for a Manhattan dress. It's been patiently waiting. Waiting too long. What else is on the chair? Some really cute fabric from Ikea that I bought to make myself a skirt. The cut out pajama pants for me that need to be sewn. The Leni and Roberta patterns that I traced out at SIT for Moo. So much has been pushed aside. It's making me wonder what else around the house has been getting pushed aside.

Nothing really changes nothing about the blog because it has never really been about business. It's about what I make, and that isn't going to stop. In fact I hope that I can make more fun and wonderful stuff because I like making crazy colourful clothing. I can spend the time to mull over designs and I can use my European fabrics with freedom because I won't have to consider how much they add to the final cost. It's good.

Speaking of fun and colourful, I made these two hoodies recently.

Pattern: Farbenmix Quiala
Fabric: Hand dyed cotton/spandex French terry
Embroideries: Florafox by Luzia Pimpinella (available at Huups.de)
quiala front

quiala back


Pattern: Farbenmix Imke (old paper pattern, not SCKL)
Fabric: Hand dyed cotton/spandex French terry
Embroidery: Florafox
Imke front

Imke back


Just an interesting fact, doing the embroideries for these two tops took 4 hours.

13 comments:

Tas said...

It is lovely that you have worked that out Sara- for your own quality of life. I am so glad that the new job is fabulous. Sewing was obviously becoming a chore but now you can go back to it being about fun and about what you want to make. You know that if you ever want to sew for others, Mae's name has to be in your little black book
;)

Tanya said...

I agree with Tas,Sara, it's fantastic that you have worked that out. And it's great that the job is good. Those hoodies are wonderful- and it was an interesting fact- I had no idea machine embroidery took so long.

Tin Can Daisy said...

I'm really happy for you Sara - happy that you're enjoying being back at work (and being paid for it!) and happy that you're enjoying sewing for your family again.

Kelly Casanova said...

All good news Sara, glad you're enjoying your job and are looking forward to sewing for you and your family. It's meant to be for enjoyment, it get's tough when you do it for money too.
love your tops - I didn't realise the time involved in machine embroideries, they sure do look great though.

NessaKnits said...

The love has been redefined!

Stärneschyiin said...

♥ wow... great!!!!
...so nice!!!!!
im lovit!!!
greetings nathalie

Unknown said...

Wow those hoodies are gorgeous! I had no idea it took 4 hours to do embroideries. Have fun sewing for you kiddies and yourself!!

LeahR said...

I completely understand. I remember when I realized that sewing for others was not something I wanted to do. Buy the fabric you love, use what you love, sew for your loves. -- Don't stop blogging though. I would miss your creativity.

Jetta's Nest said...

OK cool but just promise me one day when my little bean is big enough for a rainbow redondo I can count on you to make it for me...pretty please :)

willow and moo said...

Kel, I always forget how long it takes to do machine embroidery. The places that do it professionally have multineedle machines, but for us home people it's not a quick exercise when you have a design with lots of stitches and colour changes.

Leah, the blog is going nowhere. I started it as a way to document my craft exploits and other bits. I am not going to stop blogging because I am not going to stop making. I love making things.

Unknown said...

Family first (but then I can say this as Lulu is lucky enough to have one of your beautiful creations. I am so happy the new job is making you happy. But at the end of the day Sara YOU first and then your gorgeous family. xxxxx

Amanda said...

oh god I so hear you, I am trying desperately to slow Little Star down, I haven't sewn for fun in a very long time and oh how I miss it. everytime I make something someone wants to purchase it! it's great and all, but damn I need a break! So good on you Sara for coming right out and saying it! Have fun xo

Karen said...

Now you can find the joy in your sewing again - enjoy Sara.
Gorgeous hoodies - Moo must be the envy of the class.