Thursday, November 18, 2010

Clarity

When the path isn't straight, it is sometimes hard to be clear about what you do.  Well, at least it has been for me.  Over 3 years ago I opened my Etsy shop.  The Etsy shop was always a place to display wares that I had on hand.  Those items were usually left over from markets at school.   The shop doesn't reflect at all what I've sold over these three years.  My Crafty Mamas have given me lots of support as have parents at school and my "real life" friends.  I've just been going along making what I like to make with the occasional request.

Lately I've had a couple of requests where I've said yes and then been left with the feeling that what I've been asked to do doesn't resonate with me.  You see, I am not a seamstress.  I am a craftsperson.  I wouldn't go so far to claim that I am an artist.  I am a chemist who loves colour.   I have always loved to create and have been doing it since I was a child.  I don't want to create and sew unless I will get that "Wow!" feeling at the end.  Yes, at times I get tired of making the same things over and over like rainbow redondo skirts, but at the end of that process when I see that skirt, it makes my heart sing.  If I don't get that feeling inside then I can almost guarantee that particular item will not sell quickly. 

So why am I rambling on about this?  Well, because I'm becoming very clear about what I do and what I don't do.  I don't sew curtains, and I don't sew things that don't make me smile.  I think if my items don't have that passion and excitement imbued in them then they just aren't special.

I'm still happy to custom make or recreate for people.  It just must fit within my "artisitic vision", and I'd hope if you've come to me then we share that.  I also hope you can understand if I say, "No."

I promise my next post will have pretty pictures.  I've just taken a bunch of photos, but my other half has absconded with my card reader.

9 comments:

Chantal said...

I can totally understand where you are coming from. Given the time that goes into a lot of handiwork (that often is not able to be reflected in the price) there definitely has to be a real love of that activity to justify the effort. Without that element it can often feel creatively draining, almost to the point that even housework becomes more interesting!

Tas said...

Life is way too short to do things that you don't love- if you can avoid it- so don't let anyone persuade you otherwise.

Marie said...

Yes, just because you can, doesn't mean you want or have to. I like to sew garments, in particular for me.

Glad you have clarity Sara

Natalie Hennekam said...

Good on you Sara. Those moments of clarity are very important!
Seeing your work makes my heart sing too :-)

Jetta's Nest said...

Great choice Sara! Keep creating amazing rainbows :)

Sam

Cass said...

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me

NessaKnits said...

Square poles don't find in round holes. Exactly.

Kelly Casanova said...

I know exactly what you mean. I often find myself thinking "what can I make that will sell better?" and I hate thinking like that.
You just go ahead doing what you're doing, there's nothing wrong with saying no!

Lesley said...

Good for you Sara - create what you love I say!!