Sunday, November 14, 2010

I've joined the club

fiori di sicilia
of Fiori di Sicilia fanatics.  I read the King Arthur Flour blog, and a few months ago they posted a recipe for a blueberry bread which uses Fiori di Sicilia.   I was intrigued about this flavouring that was a orange/vanilla and likened to an orange creamsicle.   My mom had a pile of things sitting at her house waiting to be sent to me, so I thought I'd add to it by ordering some things from KAF.

To try it out today I made the lemon-glazed pound cake.  I have to admit I wanted to just eat the batter.  Well, that is normal for me, but I really, really loved it.  Next up I am going to try some Fiori in sugar cookies.  I made the cake because I bake cakes and slice them up to freeze, so Col and Moo can take it to work and school.

And you must see my African violet.  I showed you a few weeks back that it had a blossom because it was a miracle.   Look at it now!


violet in bloom
Mollie tells me that she's been watering it.  So perhaps she takes after her great-grandma Mollie who had a green thumb.  I always remember the numerous African violets that my grandmother had in her condo.

4 comments:

Chantal said...

Literally just finished carving some violets for my post tomorrow!Had a hard time choosing between little wild ones and the African violets my Grandmother used to have in her bathroom :) I know it can be forever before you get one to bloom like this so congratulations - you've done wonderfully well. I hope they stay there for some time.

Sarah said...

Ooh, sounds good. I've been thinking of adding this to a KAL order for ages (and the mysterious "Princess" flavor). Although, I eat enough batter as it is, so maybe it's a bad idea?!

Jen said...

Sounds delicious! My grandma and mom both grew African violets when I was small and my grandma showed me how to do a cutting to start a new plant. Thanks for triggering fond memories!

Lola Nova said...

Ooh, I have heard of it but, now you have me wanting to find some right away!
Your violet looks beautiful.