Saturday, October 9, 2010

Family Favourite

Last night we made 
rice paper rolls

Mollie loves to help.  Will likes to watch.
mollie making rice paper rolls

I grew up in Houston, and there is a fairly good size Vietnamese population there.  In my late teens Vietnamese food was more accessible than Thai.  We used to go to this place in Chinatown because they were open really late and the food was good!  Now they have shiny new digs.  Last i knew the food was still good, but there is something lost when places upgrade.  I like the hole in the wall places with awesome food.

We fill our rice paper rolls with grilled chicken which I marinate and cook on the bbq, coriander, mint, spring onion, rice vermicelli, and bean sprouts.    If you've never made them, they are quite easy and you can find all the ingredients in the supermarket including the rice papers.  Although saying that, I think you can get better rice papers at the Asian supermarkets.

We like them with peanut sauce, but they are also delicious with sweet chili sauce.  I like to make the Chinese Peanut Sauce from the Moosewood Cookbook.  The kids practically lick the sauce off of their plates.  

1/2 cup good peanut butter
1/2 cup hot water
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 Tbs. sugar
3 medium cloves garlic, minced   (I don't use that much garlic...maybe because I have giant cloves of biodynamic garlic which is quite strong, but very tasty.  I use 1 clove or even part of a clove)
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 to 2 Tbs minced fresh cilantro  (I don't put coriander in because it's in the spring rolls)
cayenne, to taste
salt, to taste (if peanut butter is unsalted)

1) Place peanut butter in a small bowl. Add the hot water, and stir patiently with a spoon or a small whisk until uniformly mixed.
2) Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Let come to room temperature before serving.

7 comments:

Kelly Casanova said...

My mouth is watering!
Haven't tried them with peanut sauce, I'll try that next time.

Peta said...

Yum!! No one else in my house would eat this though. :( I might have to make some just for myself.

Tanya said...

HI Sara- they are a fav here too. NO peanut sauce, Jack (10) is allergic- here's hoping he grows out of it- that looks like a great recipe. I thought cilantro was the same as coriander, just the American word for it?? So fun making 'hands on' meals I reckon. Hmm, we might have those for tea.

Karen said...

I love these but haven't made them with the girls - must rememdy that - they are great summer food.
No peanut sauce for me either sadly - Miss L is allergic!
I secretly eat peanut butter sandwiches at friend's houses or my mum's place!

Sarah said...

Those look SO DELICIOUS. I haven't had good spring rolls since moving to the NE. I am printing this out right now....I just hope everyone else will eat them cause they're on the menu asap!

Natalie said...

Oh YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY! I used to go to a Vietnamese restaurant all the time in college and I miss it - I always ordered these! Printing this off - thanks for sharing!

Helen said...

I forgot to say I made these Sunday night and used your peanut sauce. They were gobbled up and the sauce bowl wiped clean. Thanks!