Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rainbow dyed Solana pants

Yesterday's blog post was a leg of Solana pants.   I was testing out my idea of dyeing them rainbow.

rainbowsolana

I had cut a size 122/128 thinking that a 134/140 would be too long for Miss Moo.  I also shortcut the process by not prewashing the fabric.  I think during the dyeing and washing out process that the pieces shrunk. I didn't expect them to shrink much because it's poplin, but when you are sewing multiple pieces shrinkage of a few mm's can add up quickly.   My cutting and sewing are usually fairly accurate.  So now I have a pair of pants that do not fit Moo.  They won't go over her bottom which is why they are unhemmed and have no waistband.  I am not going to finish them right now.   I have a stack of other things that need to be sewn.

If I do these again, I also need to clearly label which piece is which because I am not sure if I mixed up the back middle and front middle pieces.  They are dyed the same colours.  And I need to be more mindful about making sure the purple and blue pieces are dyed so they match when sewn together.

Mollie says she wants a pair, but maybe I'll just give her the pair of rainbow Paula pants that I am sewing in her size.

10 comments:

michal said...

too bad it doesn't fit! it's so pretty.... I looked at this pattern often thinkung if I should get it... I think it'll get into my 'to buy' list now!

Marie said...

That looks awesome Sara. You have such a way with your dyeing.

Carolyn said...

they look wonderful, Lily saw them and told me "my pants". Pitty they dont fit Moo.

toadstooldots said...

what an awesome dyeing! its really pity that it doesn't fit.

Tin Can Daisy said...

Such a pity for you and Moo that they don't fit!! They're gorgeous!!

zofia said...

oh but they are gorgeous! What a shame...if you feel like finishing them they may fit T ;)

NessaKnits said...

My daughter was looking over my shoulder yesterday and pointing at those pants! Very cool!

Kelly Casanova said...

pity they don't fit, but they're so nice just to look at!

Unknown said...

what a pity about the fit! lessons learned I guess. I just love the rainbow look, my Mum says I must have some hippy in me trying to get out LOL.

Lola Nova said...

Well, they are simply gorgeous! I have done that very thing with pants arg! So frustrating when you have worked so hard but, I suppose it is part of the learning process.

Best wishes on all your projects!